Sunday, May 10, 2015

Prologue to an Adventure Unknown


I should start off this blog with an introduction, my name is Caleb Morgan. I will soon be departing on what has been said to me, 'the most life changing experience you'll ever have'. I will be moving to the outskirts of Mongolia at the end of May to start my training for the United States Peace Corps as an English/TEFL instructor. I will be saying farewell to life as I know and for the next 27 months fighting to survive the winters of the coldest inhabited place on Earth and witness a new exciting culture. I will learn so much about myself and this Earth that I cannot wait to experience it all.




Mongolia is a country located between China and Russia. With just over 2 million people, it has one of the lowest density populations in the world (1.9 peoples per sq. mile) and is the 18th biggest country in the world based upon land mass. A land of nomadic peoples, a heavy diet on livestock products and very few fruits and vegetables is what I have to look forward to. The population of sheep outnumber those of humans, and while no one seems to be afraid with those numbers of a sheep revolt, ill keep you updated.



This isn't my first attempt into the Peace Corps world. I was training during the summer of 2014 in Bo, Sierra Leone when we were taken home due to the insecurity and safety of the volunteers and staff in midst of the Ebola epidemic in the country. I fell in love with Sierra Leone and think about that beautiful country everyday. I am so happy to be apart of the Salone PC family because of all the good they are doing and the people there really appreciate what PC does. We were almost finished with training, and I had even been given my site placement of Lunsar, Sierra Leone located in the Port Loko district. I find myself still muttering words in Krio to myself when I am out in public attempting hold onto a language I tried so hard to learn.



After returning to the USA at the end of summer we were unsure as to if there was going to be a return flight for us back to Sierra Leone. All of us wanted to go back and I one day will make that trip. The email never came and unfortunately they chose to suspend the program for now. I passed my time in the states by spending it with family, friends and the dogs. I got a job, went and saw a couple of great concerts and spent a week on the Vegas strip with my best friends.  

The adventure officially begins May 26th in San Francisco for our 2 day staging event. I will attempt to keep up with this blog as much as possible. The internet access in Mongolia from what I have gathered seems to be more reliable and available than my access in Sierra Leone was, so I have no excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment